As an Amazon Associate I may earn commissions from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Roman chairs and hyperextension benches are some of the best tools to use in your physical fitness routine. They work on your back, abs, and glutes- all at the same time! This article will give you a list of 10 best roman chairs that we recommend for every home gym. We hope we can help you find the best hyperextension bench for your needs!
This is our favorite roman chair on this list for multiple reasons. We think this is the best hyperextension bench for most home gyms because it has a great max weight and fantastic build quality. If you’re interested in the full review, read on! Otherwise, check it out here!
|Loupusuo Adjustable Roman Chair
|45″ x 27″ x 35″
|Vanswe Adjustable Ab Bench
|57″ x 20″ x 33.5″
|Sunny Health & Fitness SF-BH6629
| 220 lbs
330 lbs with dip station
|38″ x 24″ x 32″
|Marcy Adjustable Hyper Extension Bench
|43.5″ x 27.5″ x 37.5″
|Stamina Hyper Bench
|39.5″ x 22.25″ x 33.5″
|42″ x 27″ x 31″
|Finer Form Multi-Functional Weight Bench
|60″ x 23″ x 30″
|Stamina Ab/Hyper Bench Pro
|36″ x 17″ x 7″
|CAP Strength Roman Chair
|56″ x 29″ x 43″
|Fitness Reality X-Class
|64″ x 32.5″ x 28.8″
The Best Roman Chair and Back Extension Benches Reviewed
This article will give you a list of best roman chairs and hyperextension benches that we recommend for every home gym. We hope our collection of roman chair reviews helps you find the best product for your needs!
This is a heavy duty 45 degree roman chair with an above average weight limit of 300 pounds.
What really makes the Loupusuo Adjustable Roman Chair stand out though, is the tri-pod style design and the heavy duty steel frame which makes this roman chair extremely sturdy and stable when your working out.
It has 7 possible height settings, making it a great option for people of any height looking to get a great upper body workout or build back muscles.
This adjustable hyperextension roman chair is compact but not foldable, which means its a good option for small home gyms, but not the most portable option on this list.
- Stable Tri-Pod Design
- Adjustable Height
- Not foldable
- No bells and whistles
This 45 degree bench/roman chair combo is tied for highest weight limit on this list with a maximum limit of 650 pounds. Unlike some of the other options on the market, you absolutely do not have to worry about exceeding the max weight capacity on this piece of gear and I would not hesitate to recommend incorporating extra weight into your routine when using this hyperextension bench.
The fact that the Vanswe has a full bench included with the roman chair makes this easily one of the more versatile products on this list. I wouldn’t use this as the only bench in my home gym, but you could certainly put it to good use for weight lifting.
If you like to lift heavy objects, this this a great option.
This ab bench has a dual 2″ thick hip pad to allow for comfortable hyperextension exercise and a leg attachment with 4″ foam rollers for ergonomic lower body exercises.
- Bench/Roman Chair Combo makes for a versatile piece of home gym equipment
- Extremely high maximum weight capacity and unshakeable stability
- Nice thick padding and adjustable ankle supports with ankle rollers
- One of the larger products on this list, not the best for cramped spaces
This is a great compact 45 degree sit up bench for those of you looking for the best roman chair option for easy storage in tight spaces.
Whether you’re looking to work your leg muscles, core muscles or back muscles, or maybe just work out some lingering back pain, this is a great home roman chair even if you don’t have a lot of space.
Unlike most roman chairs, this hyperextension bench can be folded and stored under a bed or in a closet, making it a great option for apartments or shared living spaces.
This piece of exercise equipment includes high density foam pads for your hips and foam padded ankle support for maximum comfort for minimal floor space.
If you’re looking to upgrade your upper body workout or hit your core muscles even harder, Sunny Health offers an alternative version of this roman chair with an attached dip station too!
- Foldable for easy storage
- Sturdy construction
- Low price
- One of the smaller products on this list, may not fit tall users very well
- Standard version without the dip station has a fairly low weight capacity at 220 pounds
The included back hyperextension station and adjustable height ankle pads are perfect for working your back muscles and relieving back pain and working on better posture.
The ankle pads are made with high density foam and that fact along with the high quality integrated seat padding and the adjustable footrest makes this a very comfortable back extension bench.
- 90 degree design makes this a very versatile piece of gym equipment
- High weight limit of 308 pounds
- Solid construction
- The workout bench is a little more than 3 feet tall and the height is not adjustable
This is a simple, but high quality 45 degree roman chair which is great for core exercise or any other gym routine.
It’s one of the more lightweight hyperextension benches on this list at only 25 pounds, but its high quality steel frame still allows for a decent 250 pound weight limit.
It features adjustable length, and the ankle support locks in place for greater stability and the handles on top on the machine allow for additional options for back and upper body exercises.
- The hip pad is thickly padded and upholstered with stitched vinyl
- The entire machine can be folded up for easy storage
- Only so-so weight capacity, not a great option for working out with additional weight
The Powerline roman chair is easily one of the most comfortable to use exercise machines on the list due to its oversized hip pad and huge 8″ foam leg holders.
This 45 degree back extension bench is build to accommodate users of all sizes and is a great option no matter your fitness level, from beginners to advanced athletes to people just looking to relieve back pain.
The ankle holders on the powerline roman chair are not just oversized, but very sturdy as well. Unfortunately, they are not adjustable and this may reduce the overall versatility of the machine.
- Dual telescoping hip pad design is adjustable, making it perfect for users of all sizes
- Great 10 year warranty
- The hip pads are adjustable, but the ankle pads are not. Would be nice to have an adjustable footrest
Much like the Vanswe Adjustable Ab Bench above, this is a roman chair/weight bench combo.
Unlike the Vanswe, this machine has a lower weight capacity at 400 pounds, meaning it may not be quite as sturdy for heavy weight lifting.
On the other hand, this Finer Form bench has a slightly thicker hip pad for greater workout comfort.
The flexibility and versatility of the roman chair/bench combo is hard to overstate and dozens of exercises are possible with just this one piece of equipment. To really drive this point home, Finer Form is offering a free PDF workout chart with each unit when purchased from Amazon.
- 400 pound weight limit is very respectable
- Extra thick hip pad
- Free workout chart included with purchase
- Back pad is not as large as a standard bench
This is another roman chair/bench combo, and comes with all the versatility that you might expect.
What’s different about this model?
It’s fully foldable!
This is one of the lightest bench/roman chair machines available, and can be stored in a closet or under a bed thanks to its super compact foldable design.
Unfortunately, the tradeoff of light equipment is that you sacrifice the sturdy structure of other heavier products.
- This machine doesn’t sacrifice comfort as the hip pad is still quite thick
- Totally foldable for storage
- Light weight and storability means a somewhat lower max weight limit
The CAP roman chair is another 90 degree roman chair and it’s especially great for sit ups and back extensions. It’s simple design and sold construction brings to mind something you might see in a commercial gym.
It is built sturdy and can hold up to 300 pounds of weight, quite a bit more than many of the products on offer and it’s 4 ankle holders help to keep your legs locked in during strenuous exercise.
This is a simple machine, but it’s solidly build and perfect for people who just want a great workout, from beginners to advanced athletes.
- Solidly built machine is great for people serious about building muscle strength
- Double ankle pad design locks in your legs for greater stability
- Very simple machine built for a simple purpose, will not full multiple roles in your set up
Fitness Reality makes one of my favorite home weight benches, and the great thing is that it doubles as an extremely high quality roman chair as well!
This company is well known for taking customer feedback into heavy consideration when designing or improving their gear and the X-Class is no different.
This weight bench/roman chair combo is built tough to hold up to 650 pounds, easily taking the top spot on this list!
But what makes it really stand out is the quality of material and the thoughtfulness of the design.
This machine is built with sweat and moisture resistant material to make those particularly hard workouts more comfortable, and the extra large stabilizers on the front and back of the machine make for a supremely sturdy and stable experience.
- Sweat resistant vinyl hip pad and bench upholstery
- Great stability
- Excellent max weight limit
- Not foldable, though it does have wheels for easy movement
What is a Roman chair?
A Roman chair is an equipment used to work on your back, abs and glutes. They’re especially good for working out the lower back.
Both the best roman chairs and best hyperextension benches can be found online through various retailers like Amazon among others where they come in different brands, models make, materials used etc. all at varying prices depending upon their quality levels.
What Is a Hyperextension Bench? What Do They Do?
A hyperextension bench is best suited for those who want to work on their lower backs, abs and glutes. They’re especially good for working out the lower back.
These machines will help you maintain a neutral spine without any rotation or movement in your hips and pelvis which is important when exercising because it reduces injury risk and keeps you safe from damage to your discs. The best hyperextension bench has safety straps that lock into place as well as an adjustable height lever so that users can adjust the height of the bench according to their own needs. Hyperextensions also improve posture, core strength, muscle tone and flexibility among other benefits!
Benefits of Using Roman Chairs
Roman chairs are amazing for getting a great workout. They work wonders on your glutes, abs and lower back at the same time!
The best part about a Roman chair is that you can use them for strength training and they’re also perfect for people with back pain because they strengthen the appropriate muscles to relieve pressure from pinched nerves.
Features To Look For In a Roman Chair
A Roman chair that has a lower back support is perfect for those who want to work on their backs as well as glutes and abs.
The best roman chairs have adjustable foot pads and wheels so you can move it around easily. They also have a padded seat which makes them more comfortable than regular benches or machines!
If space is limited, you should definitely consider purchasing a foldable roman chair or hyperextension bench so that it can be folded and stowed in a closet or under a bed.
What Should I Look For When Buying a Roman Chair?
When comparing roman chairs, it’s important to take into account the durability and especially the stability of the machine.
A roman chair should be stable and have a high weight capacity. It’s also important to consider the materials used as well as how it was constructed.
If possible, try out the machine before you buy it so that you can test its stability for yourself! You don’t want an unstable bench taking up room in your limited space- especially if you’re spending a lot of money!
How Do You Use a Roman Chair or Hyperextension Bench to Exercise?
To use a roman chair, you’ll need to put your feet on the foot rest which are adjustable in most cases. You then lean back until your hips and pelvis are at an appropriate angle for exercising- this usually means tilting them backwards slightly so that it is 90 degrees with your torso!
You can also adjust the amount of resistance provided by these machines depending upon how much weight you want to lift or work against. This makes these machines pretty versatile when compared to other types of training equipment like ab crunch machines where there’s only one possible way to exercise using it! What should I look for in a Roman Chair?
Exercises You Can Do On a Roman Chair
You can use a roman chair for so many different exercises.
Some of the best exercises you can do on a Roman Chair or Hyperextension bench include:
• Sit-ups and crunches work well with these machines, especially when done in sets of high repetitions without resting between each set. This is great if your goal is to lose weight fast or get those coveted six pack abs!
• Lying back while holding weights or ankle weights will allow you to tone muscles that are usually hard to target at home such as the inner thighs which aren’t usually targeted that much during other lower body workouts like running etc.
• To perform ab exercises on a Roman chair bench, sit down on the machine so that your thighs are parallel with the ground. Put your hands behind you so they’re resting against one of the handles provided on most machines depending upon how much stability you need.
Lean backwards so that your body is straight, looking up at the ceiling. This will be your starting position for crunches or sit-ups done on a Roman chair bench machine.
As you exhale, curl down by bending at the waist while bringing your rib cage towards your pelvis without rounding out your back too much as this can cause injury to it. If you’re advanced, try more of an oblique crunch where you only bring one shoulder off the bench!
To make these exercises harder, extend both arms beyond your head before doing each repetition. Repeat until all reps are complete and then rest for 30 seconds once finished with each exercise set.
This hyperextension bench exercise works your abs and also incorporates the hip flexors. Make sure you lift up to a 90 degree angle with each sit up to get full benefits, and always engage your core!
First, sit on the hip pad of the roman chair and secure yourself into position by placing your ankles under the ankle pads.
Lean back until your body is straight, at this point you’ll be fighting gravity to hold yourself up and you’ll already be feeling the tension in your abdominal muscles.
Engage your core and sit all the way up, bringing your body upright.
Pause before returning to the starting position.
The benefit of this roman chair exercise compared to a standard sit up is twofold: first, you’re using the force of gravity to provide resistance, and second, your back is not pressed against the floor or any other surface which can cause discomfort or injury.
Roman Chair Crunches are just like the Roman Chair Sit Up except that you restrict your movement to a smaller arc. While this does limit your range of motion, you can stay in those mid-positions longer to increase the difficulty. Plus, if you’re up for a challenge see if you can add some weights while doing those reps!
You might be thinking that there is little benefit from doing crunches versus sit-ups. Valid question, partner!
You see, if sit ups are too difficult for you as you’re getting started but you still want to work on your core then crunches are the ideal recipe.
This exercise targets your lower abs, but it also works the obliques. To make this harder, try adding in some weight!
To start, you need to find a vertical roman chair, or captain’s chair.
Stand with your back against the pad on the roman chair and place your forearms on the pads.
You should position yourself with your legs hanging freely and your arms and shoulders supporting you.
Keep your back straight and lift your legs out in front of you. You can either keep your legs straight, or bend them at the knees.
With this move you are working all of the muscles that surround your core. Make sure to keep your back straight when doing these and don’t let it arch or curl too much otherwise you won’t be working your muscles correctly.
You can even perform this exercise while hanging from a pull up bar!
A roman chair back extension, or lumbar extension, is a great exercise for strengthening your abdominals, lower back, upper back, glutes and hamstrings.
It’s performed by lying face down on a roman chair or back extension machine with your feet hooked under the foot pads and then extending your spine until your torso is parallel to the floor.
When doing this extension exercise, be sure to keep your abdominal muscles pulled in so that you don’t over-stretch them. Also, don’t allow your hips to sag or rise too high off the pad – stay in line with your torso. You should feel the tension in your lower back and glutes as you extend.
For this exercise, you want to get into the same starting position as you would for roman chair twists, except with your upper body rotated so that your hip is resting on the pad rather than your butt.
Sit on the pad of the roman chair, secure your legs underneath the foam rollers, rotate your torso and lean backward until your whole body is at about a 45 degree angle.
From here, instead of twisting your body, you’re going to tilt side to side, bending at the waist.
Side Bends are a great way to not only improve your obliques but also get that jaw-dropping V-shaped upper body.
Plus, they’re really simple!
Who Should Use Roman Chair?
Roman Chair are great for people who have back problems or are recovering from an injury.
You should also consider using a roman chair if you want to tone your glutes, abs and lower back at the same time!
It’s perfect for getting that strong core without having to do crunches by yourself day in-day out which can be pretty boring. You can save time with this equipment because it helps work multiple muscle groups simultaneously!
The right roman chair can add so much to your gym set up and help you reach your fitness goals much much easier and that’s why we put this list together, to help you find the best hyperextension bench for you.
The roman chair is not the most famous or most glamorous of exercise equipment, but it certainly has a place in my heart, when I want to work out my core, nothing else really compares!
I hope that this list has been helpful, do you have a favorite roman chair? Do you feel like there is a product we should have included? Maybe you disagree with one of our choices?
Send us an email!
If you liked this list, check out our other roman chair guides!
Like this guide to roman chair situps!
Here’s our guide to roman chair back extensions
Or this guide to roman chair leg raises
How about this simple guide to roman chair side bends?
Looking for some exercises to do with your new roman chair? Look no further!
Here’s our guide on 8 Great Roman Chair Exercises!
If you’re goal is to get ripped six pack abs, check out our guide on the roman chair for abs!
- Roman Chair Exercises for Glutes: 3 Ways to Sculpt Your Booty to PerfectionUnlock the Secret to Perfect Glutes with Roman Chair Exercises for Glutes! Sculpt and strengthen your booty with our comprehensive guide.
- Why the Roman Chair is the Ultimate Piece of Equipment for Lower Back Pain ReliefLast Updated on May 22, 2023 by Patrick Introduction to the Roman Chair The Roman Chair is a piece of exercise equipment that is designed to target the lower back muscles. It consists of a simple frame with a padded seat and footrests, and it allows the user to perform a variety of exercises that …
- Roman Chair Side Bends: A Simple Guide Roman chair side bends are a great exercise for sculpting that coveted V shape by targeting your external obliques.
- The Roman Chair Back Extension: How To and Why A roman chair back extension, or lumbar extension, is a great exercise for strengthening your abdominals, lower back, upper back, glutes and hamstrings. It’s important to understand how to do this exercise properly so you can avoid injury or pain.
- Roman Chair for Abs: 6 Exercises to Absolutely SHRED Your Core! The roman chair is an excellent piece of exercise equipment for getting a great full body workout, but especially for toning your abdominal muscles.
- Roman Chair Leg Raises/Captain’s Chair Leg Raises: How To You’ve seen people across social media doing this crazy looking exercise in the gym. It’s not as crazy as it looks, but it is crazy effective!
- 9 Great Roman Chair Exercises – Strengthen Your Core and MoreCheck out these 5 awesome roman chair exercises to get a full body workout with just one piece of equipment!
- Roman Chair Sit Ups – Strengthen Your Core and Improve Posture Roman chair situps are my secret weapon for getting chiseled, toned, six pack abs. The extra leverage the roman chair gives you makes all the difference!